Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Oh, Hartford...

Oz and I crossing paths on the course...he ran a 2:25!!!

Hartford did not go as I had envisioned. I really thought I'd see a 2:47 on that finish line clock, I mean, at the very least a sub-2:50 but I landed myself with a frustrating 2:51, flat. I really couldn't sneak under 2:51:00 just to say I ran a 2:50?! Nope. The marathon rule is that the seconds never matter. So if you run a 2:49:59...you ran a 2:49. Ha. Not Saturday. I'm a 2:51er flat and I hate it. It was such a disappointing day.

I went out so conservative with a 1:23:55 half. I mean, that was 30 seconds slower than last year and yet, my body stopped me dead in my tracks at mile 18. I know why...fueling. I was so nervous about a relapse of Burlington that ever since that day I started thinking I needed to take less gels. My stomach is sensitive. It can turn on me any second. The more gels or calories I put in while running fast runs the risk of some severe pain and needing a potty. Now, I will admit, Burlington was the only time I have experienced 'the runs' but it sticks in your head. FEAR. I was so afraid of having to go through that again. I honestly have no desire to sh*t my pants in a race (who does?!). So, I pulled back the calories knowing this would put less stress on the digestive system. I practiced...in my trail marathon, in the 50k, in my tempo runs only 1 gel every 5-miles. It seemed to work. I always finished strong. So what happened in Hartford?...

The road marathon always freaks me out. I over think. I over plan. I worry...obsess about my stomach. So, the day before I eat lightly and finish eating 15 hours before race day. In the morning, pre-race, I had coconut water and vega sport then ran to mile 5 before popping the first gel plus I'm running just that bit faster then any of my long tempos. I was already in the hole. For tempos and trail races, I eat normal the day before maybe finish eating 12 hours before the race and either I'm running a bit slower or going a bit shorter. AHHHHHH. Frustrating. At 18, I dropped to 6:40s (from 6:23s). I ate 1 gel but mile 19 was another 6:40 and then shuffle fest at 20. Mike told me I needed to stop and down gatorade which I did. The next 2 aid stations, I stopped and drank. Mile 23, I was able to click off a 6:30 and mile 24 a 6:28...mile 25 was a damned uphill (insert cursing). This scenario screamed I was out of fuel and if you are out of fuel, you ain't moving any where fast. Ugh.


Ok, lesson learned. Back to the drawing board and finding my tolerance for calories. My next race, 5 weeks. The Philadelphia Marathon. My plan: to run sub-2:50. My dream: to run sub-2:48. Can I turn it around that fast? I don't know but I am sure as hell going to try because I'm fired up. I'm taking my head out of the equation and just running (with calories). Here we go...

0 comments: