Saturday, June 16, 2012

I Quit


I definitely owe quite an update since Rev3. Sadly, it didn’t go even closely to what I imagined. There are no excuses from my end. I simply am not fit enough to race at the level I used to race at. There is something to be said for quality over quantity but when it comes to the bike, my legs need more quantity. I can’t get away with biking only 7-8 hours a week. I used to bike at least 15 hours a week and while I certainly wasn’t the greatest biker in the world, I still could hang on long enough to be competitive with the other girls once I got to the run. At Rev3, I barely made it to the run. I think mentally I shut down more than my body but I shut down…hard.

I promised myself that no matter the disaster of a time I swam I was going to bike 20.5 mph on that course. It went ok for 20 miles then went miserable but still moving for 30 miles and then, I lost it. My back ached, my shoulders and neck hurt, my quads were absolutely drained actually my entire body was drained. All I wanted was to take a nap. That’s all I could think about and I was only a bit over half done with the race. Frustrating. Depressing. Disappointed. Yep, no easy words. I saw Mike at mile 55 and I said, “I’m done. completely shattered. done”. He asked me about 20x if I was 100% sure I didn’t want to run. I was sure so I quit. Quitting sucks. period. I’ve never quit a race and it was awful but I knew I didn’t just quit the day, I quit the sport. Remember, I want to progress and I am certainly not going to progress in triathlon. I can’t train 25-30 hours a week and I can’t be away on my bike for 4-5 hours a clip.

 
How can you be sad with this little guy around?!
I was sad for a day or two (ok, three) but now, I’M PUMPED! and I am super focused. Running…one foot in front of the other. It is my true love and I am committed whole heartedly. I’ve been slowly ramping up the mileage, upping my time on the power cranks (at high cadence, of course), and adding in a bit more yoga/core. I will still jump on the bike once or twice a week because I believe in cross training especially for runners but my main concern each week is nailing my mileage and my speed workouts. Everything else is extra which leaves me more time to work on recipes, websites, and writing. Of course, Anders is my buddybuddy so he happily runs with me every afternoon and I think he can tell mommy is a bit less stressed. Running is simple. I know what needs to be done to get where I want to be so that is a huge relief.

Wednesday…we head north to my parent’s cabin (near Lake Superior). I get to run a trail marathon next weekend. I am so excited but even more excited to visit with my family for almost two weeks. I miss them so so much! Family time, can’t wait…

0 comments: