Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Mema Visits


Mema (grandma) came to visit this past weekend. Mike had a terribly rough business trip skiing in the mountains of Utah so the ‘I hate being alone’ side of me made sure I filled the void with my mom. She flew in Thursday and I immediately whipped her out of NYC to head up to our Connecticut house for a peaceful getaway. Of course, these days taking a straight shot up to Woodstock, CT is never advised if we leave the city past 4pm because Anders just doesn’t do the best with his nights becoming rattled so we made a Thursday night pit stop at Mike’s parents then made the rest of the trip Friday afternoon.


It was nice to have just the three of us for a few days. Usually, there is always a bit more hustle bustle around with sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins but this weekend was just a grandma weekend and we all very much enjoyed it. We took in each day with walks, conversation, scrabble, and Anders playtime and at night, I used my mom as a taste tester for a few of my dinner recipes…broccoli casserole and veggie pizza (vegan, gluten free and soy free, of course!). I would have to say that both turned out delicious but the pizza was brilliant.

It is always a bit harder these days saying good bye to my mom. I know it is a bit lonelier these days and I can tell the reality of the situation has really dawned on her. I obviously miss my Dad each and everyday but I cannot fathom the loss that my mom feels. They have been together since high school and a love like theirs can never be duplicated or replaced. My Dad is missed, plain and simple. Luckily, we head back to Chicago in 6 weeks so it won’t be too long until Mema time is back.

 

0 comments: