Monday, October 18, 2010

Trekking Around


Yesterday, I chalked my day up as recovery. We decided to spend another weekend up in Vermont. We honestly cannot get enough of the crisp air, autumn views, and of course, our wonderful uphill-downhill run routes. Unfortunately, Sunday wasn’t a running day as my legs and body needed a rest. I’ve switched my training intensity to high and volume to low but I think the initial shock of this change has definitely challenged the body. Speedy training means some type of recovery is needed every 3-4 days or so. This doesn’t mean sit around and do nothing but is more of a let’s not try to max out the heart rate today and yesterday, it also meant let’s not smash the legs to bits. Mike advised we go for a walk/trek up through our favorite hills. I always wrongly assume that maybe we would walk for 1-2 hours though with Mike 2 hours becomes 3 and 3 becomes 4 and after the little walk is done I realize that I’ve been trekking up and down hills for over 4 hours and as much as I convince myself it was a perfect recovery day…my legs the this morning said I AM HEAVY and not so much recovered. So, I’ve procrastinated training waiting for a miracle. I hear the treadmill calling and water saying I will be friendly to your legs but the body is slow to go. Though, I must admit that the Vermont trek was worth every step and every climb because nature’s beauty is truly remarkable.

0 comments: