Friday, October 16, 2009

Failure

My last race of the year is in 9 days. I am all giddy with excitement. This race feels so different from all the others. I’m going into it with a new mentality. I am not scared. I am not scared of the swim, the bike, or the run…my past 4 weeks of swimming have opened my eyes to my true swimming abilities and nothing can be scarier than Coach Gerry and his little line - Kate, why don’t you join our lane today. In short, joining Coach’s lane means ultimate pain and what I call 'the gutter gaze'. Yep, the gutter gaze occurs between sets with my questionable rest (usually 5 sec. or less) with Coach and the fast boys…I simply stare into the gutter praying for mercy.

I am also not scared of failing. This, I learned, has been a major road block in my performance. I like to race safe. This means simply making it through the swim. Hold back on the bike. Give what you have left on the run. This approach does not make for a champion. It is wimpy. All great athletes fail. They fail because they have the courage to push their limits. I have courage! Game plan for Austin…attack the swim. Go hard. I have done 5000 yard workouts where every single yard is hard as hell and my heart is in my throat and I survived. I survived and went directly onto my bike and nailed some amazing sessions. So, this means I can swim aggressive and I will bike like a complete maniac and you know what…if I completely blow myself up on the bike and can’t run, that will be absolutely phenomenal because I gave it everything. I tested my limits. I made myself stronger and opened myself up to a whole new world of possibilities.


I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed.

~ Michael Jordan

0 comments: