Monday, July 13, 2009

The Daily Menu

I wanted to describe exactly today’s training and diet. Many people absolutely cannot fathom training hard and eating a mostly raw plant-based diet and when they think of plant-based, most wrongly assume ‘good’ fats are the answer to health. Through much trial and error, I discovered a higher fat diet made me sloggy and ready for two naps a day. Keeping my diet lower in fat (about 10%) and keeping my fat intake until evening, my energy levels surged and my gastro troubles vanished plus I became leaner and meaner***on the race course! Fruits and veggies are miracle foods.

Pre-Workout – Water

Workout #1 – 13 mile tempo run
Workout #2 – 45 minute Gym Session

Post-Workout – 3 bananas, 2 scoops berry Vega, head of romaine lettuce, water!


Pre-Workout – 600 calories of brown rice…touch of salt

Workout #3 – 4000 yards swimming
Workout #4 – easy 30 minute run

Post Workout – 5 apples


Workout #5 – 1 hour easy on Bike trainer

Meal Time – The no fail Ultimate Salad (I eat this every night---even race night!)



1 celery bunch
2-3 cucumbers
1 large avocado
half an onion
½ bag of unsalted Peas
Fresh Dill

Seasoned with Dash. Tomato Basil Garlic is Glorious on the taste buds.
Touch of Sea Salt

CHOP CHOP CHOP. This is key to a great tasting, dressing free salad. Make sure to purchase a Kitchen Aid Mezzaluna ($20 on Amazon).


Final step…wrap in romaine leaves and chow down.

Dessert - Watermelon

The beautiful thing about this salad is that once chopped with the Mezzaluna no salad dressing is needed. The juices of the veggies, avocado and seasonings blend perfectly. Salad dressings are not good for us no matter the brand or embellished title---‘organic-all natural’ still can mean not good for our bodies. Either a dressing will have a base of vinegar (too acidic for us) or oil (high fat/calories and most likely rancid) plus many contain an insane amount of sodium and other little tidbits such as the high frustose corn syrup or preservatives. I was addicted to salad dressings until I discovered the Mezzaluna. Chop away to better health!

Total Training Hours Today: 4 hours 30 minutes
Calories: 2600

Yes, I trained over 4 hours hard and only consumed 2600 calories but these calories are no ordinary calories and its what worked for me today. I don't count calories everyday. I simply eat how I feel. Some days I may need 2 avocados or an extra 3 apples. I have no fear of eating 10 bananas if I feel like I need that many. The important thing about diet is honestly to stop feeding yourself garbage! Eat your fruits and veggies. Drink your Vega. Everyday take small steps to a healthier you…your body will thank you.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting your specific nutrition regimen. I have been unsuccessfully experimenting with nutrition. I am dealing with the GI issues and fatigue that so often plague us athletes. I am going to try your approach so I can continue to train 80 miles/week for marathons.

Thank you for the great blogs and best of luck as a pro!

Regards,

Tara 5x Boston Qualifier