Saturday, March 28, 2009

Rest and Recovery is Tricky

Coaching myself is something I take pride in and absolutely love to do. I scheme the week before creating devilish workouts and fun swim, bike, run sequences. I keep my training ‘open’ meaning weather, body, riding/running partners all play their role everyday. I have a plan each week but definitely have my lookout radar for any good training opportunities that may come my way. Most importantly, I listen to my body…I don’t always take its advice but I listen.

The problem I run into with coaching myself is the feeling of sudden panic…am I training hard enough, long enough. Do I need a rest day or week? I always question rest and recovery. People always tell me to error on the side of caution. I try to be smart. I keep training logs, detailed notes. I am quite obsessive to know how much, how hard, how I felt. I don’t go hard everyday. I know what needs to be done and how it should be accomplished. Though those stinkin’ questions still remain.

Only 7 weeks until Florida 70.3. My questions will have answers. If I race well, then I did it right. Of course, if I have a bad race and I am not talking flat tires here - I am talking about legs feeling flat, run slow, drowning in the swim…I better rethink my coaching strategies. Trust me, I know bad races happen even if you did everything properly. 3 weeks after Florida is Eagleman so I will get to test my skills again.

I need to race!!!

0 comments: