Sunday, March 29, 2009

Hurt Alert!

Today, pain was felt. Friday and Saturday were hard bike days and today was a devilish 19-mile run. Here’s the run down: Friday was a tough paddle swim (hello Lats!) plus a 90 mile hill ride with an unintentional 9 mile bike race at the end. Basically, the group I ride with came up on a group of cyclists…game on! It was all in good fun. Almost a mini rocket ride of sorts but my quads and lungs definitely didn’t think it was enjoyable. Mentally, I was loving it. It’s nice to know you are strong enough to hang with the big boys. I attempted a break away and even took a pull…all the while thinking I was going to literally black out and fall off into the ditch. Then onto Saturday. An 85 mile ride with a 40min TT at the end. It was a solo time trial (no drafting off the speedy boys). I am the type to get stronger when others are showing weakness and the guys I ride with showed weakness so I said “I dare you to try and hang with me”. I dropped the hammer. I felt amazingly good. And yes, no one held on.

Now onto today. The 19-mile run. Legs were grumpy this morning. I just crossed my fingers and prayed that after a few miles the legs would come around. Luckily, I had my running partner Brandon. Brandon is very kind to put up with all my whining and complaining about my tired sore little body. I did tell him I may have to punch him in the face if he tells me one more time about how great his legs feel. My left leg was detaching itself from my body. Calves crying out for mercy. We did a 1.5 mile warm-up then 16 miles at 7:15 pace. Are you kidding me? Time for a cool down. Or a walk jog. Then just a walk. Legs both detaching. Ouchy Momma! Hurt alert.

I attempted to get in a solid swim. At about 1600 yards, I pulled the plug and passed out in the steamroom.

Greatest training week to date!

0 comments: