Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Easy Hard Run

My focus right now is on Ironman 70.3 Florida. I must admit that I prefer a full distance ironman over a ½ any day but to be 100% ready for a full iron race means I need some warm weather training. After Eagleman 70.3, all eyes will be on Ironman Louisville. That means my weekly long run will not be exceeding 2 hours until mid-June.

The thing about a 2 hour long run is that it can be super easy or super tough depending on what pace I decide to throw down. Today I needed to make sure I didn't run sub-7 minute miles and wanted my HR to stay relatively low but I also needed to have a quality muscle burning workout. So, the obvious answer is the easy-hard run.

What is the easy-hard run? For me, this includes a semi devilish 11 minute run loop. The loop entails a 7 minute climb and a 4 minute descent. I ran the loop 7 times today plus a 20min. hilly run there and back. The idea is to run an easy pace which for me falls between 7:40-8:40 miles. People may think...hmm an 8:40 pace? An 8:40 pace cannot hurt but I say HA! This is the beauty of the easy-hard run. The hill climbing and descending will burn the calves, hamstrings, and quads. No flats will equal pain at the end of 2 hours and yet, you will not be entirely crushed. What a wonderful little run!

0 comments: